Saturday, July 18, 2009

24 hours of bliss


Hi all...I have just spent a relaxing, fun 24 hours in an area of our fine state that has to be my very favorite of places- the Lenoir, Blowing Rock, Boone area. Riding with a friend to retrieve his son from camp, we spent time with my sister and a little time kicking around the little tourist traps. Stopping at the "Mountain Man" on Hwy. 321, I replenished my supply of garlic jelly (don't knock it till you've tried it!) It is my quickest and easiest appetizer or snack...a little GJ on cream cheese, spread on crackers...YUM. I also bought some local honey, as I was reading my new Martha Stewart Living and saw an interesting recipe for slaw using honey. I am working on plans for a luncheon for friends later this month, and plan to do farmer's market fare and some good ole biscuits and honey butter...can't wait! On the way through Blowing Rock, we discovered that it was the weekend for their "Art in the Park". Jackpot. Saw beautiful pottery, paintings, woven garments, yard art, baskets and incredible carved wood. Later, in Boone, we messed around on King Street and of course spent a little time in the Antique Mall there. Can I EVER resist embroidered linens and tablecloths? No. I plan to use the sweet dresser cloth to make a pillow, and add the plaid tablecloth to my big fat collection. Both were great deals at 3 and 6 bucks. So why not? The weather was absolutely gorgeous today...a nice 72 with a great breeze that hinted of a little mountain crispness. Glorious. Hope you are having as nice a day...time for me to go look for some more honey recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment