Thursday, July 30, 2009

I think I can...I think I can....


Good day to all! I have been in an organizational frenzy for the past three days. Don't know what got into me, other than the fact that my summer vacation is quickly escaping and I want to start a new school year with my space in order! I love looking at other people's studio spaces. These give me inspiration to get my own space workable. I do tend to get a little carried away, however. So let me tell you the story...

I really like the way those cube organizers look with the fabric cube bins all neatly shoved into their little cubbies. So...I went to Lowe's in search of plastic shelving for a utility room makeover, and stumbled upon a 9-cube organizer on sale. I bought it and brought it home and forced myself to get the utility room done first... then tackle the studio re-do.

Well, let me just tell you that 4 plastic shelves with hollow plastic tubes that you stick into holes and voila..you have shelving...is WAY easier than dealing with diagrams and instructions for putting together these organizers. I'm not saying it was all that HARD...but just figuring out the pieces and how Shelf A looks different than Shelf B can be quite a challenge. Now if I was in charge of these instructions and the packaging, I would just take a little ole Sharpie and mark "A" on the ends of the "A" pieces and "B" on the ends of "B" pieces and so on and so on. But NO. You have 6 exact same length pieces of shelving with holes drilled into them...and the holes are different on each set of 2 shelves. But the DIAGRAM drawing does not clearly define the differences in each set. Is there some reason that someone couldn't have said "You will see 4 holes on one side and 2 holes on the opposite side of Shelf A"? Would this be too costly to add just a few words? And do these people have FOCUS GROUPS? They really should. A nice sample of folks of each gender, various ages and who are literate in one of the three languages posted on the instructions could all give some feedback on how to make this a little less frustrating. Nevertheless, with my "I think I can, I think I can" mantra and my ability to channel my daddy's carpentry skills, I DID IT. Doesn't it make you so proud when you conquer the beast?

Ok...part 2 of this story is....Susan didn't price the fabric bins before buying the bargain cube organizer. So, after four stores and refusal to pay more for the bins than I did for the wooden (well, particle board and laminate) shelf...I came home empty handed. My sister helped put some perspective on the fact that "one can spend more time organizing to get work done, than actually getting work done"...and I trotted back up to the studio and went with Plan B. And I'm very, very happy with Plan B. I LOVE the way my felted wool looks stacked in the little cubbies. I like being able to gaze upon it as I sit at my sewing machine. Rather than hiding my wool behind a fabric bin, I can see it and find inspiration for the next creation. Cool. Now I really should get to that WORK that Jane was talking about...

P.S. While I was at Lowe's getting shelving, I spied the sheep holding corn that I am now using as a doorstop for my studio. I couldn't resist him! And isn't it weird that he is holding CORN? Did he know that I have an affinity for both sheep and corn? He makes me happy...I think he needs a name. Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment