Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Corn Corn Beautiful Corn...I love corn!


I love being home for a few weeks during the summer. Time to do "summertime" things..like going to get vegetables and putting some in the freezer. Yesterday afternoon I went out to Quarter Creek Farm and visited with my friend Shannon and her beautiful daughter Carter. It's so inspiring to see the home that Shannon and her husband built..a happy purple house with lots of reclaimed bead board, old doors, a stained cement floor, an outdoor shower and the greatest wrap around porch you ever saw! I came home with potatoes, garlic, corn and a few tomatoes. There is NOTHING better than a tomato sandwich in the summer. I can vouch for this..had one last night for supper and another one today for lunch!

Today I shucked and blanched corn and put some in my freezer. I will be so happy later this fall or winter when I pull out that good ole summer corn! I found a great website that helped me remember all those steps, how much time to blanch, etc.

Working in the kitchen calls for some good music so I put on a Kruger Brothers CD. If you don't know about the Kruger Brothers and you love good bluegrass, check them out. I found out while looking at their concert schedule that there is a festival in September...the Carolina in the Fall Festival. What could be more fun than the beauty of the mountains in late September and the music that I love? I most recently enjoyed hearing the Krugers in April at Merlefest. (Another incredible weekend in a beautiful location.)

I'm a lucky girl...living in NC with fresh corn and fun events to put on my calendar!

No comments:

Post a Comment